Discuss.nzbutterfly.info
(19 Nov 2017) Sun 11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
The Butterfly forum for NZ - From nzButterfly.info
Home | Butterflies | ID Guide | Sighting report | Glossary | Index | Aims
To view all topics, please login or create an account.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown caterpillar  (Read 2025 times)
jeromebubu
Auckland

View Profile WWW
« on: (04 Jan 2010) Mon 10:16 AM »

Hi,

some caterpillars (20-25mm) encountered together on Tussok, at the Lewis Pass (elevation: 700m).
As I observed them during the day, I think it might be a Tussok Ringlet, maybe the Common Tussok ?

Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: (17 Jan 2010) Sun 09:39 PM »

Great Photo Jerome.
I suspect it's a Tussock, but will check properly in the next few days. I didn't see any Tussocks or other Ringlets anywhere :)

Robert.
Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: (19 Jan 2010) Tue 09:17 PM »

I just gone over the larval description I have on Tussocks. There isn't much difference I'm aware of on all 3 species. Plus you where in the Lewis Pass, an area which could have all 3 species present.

Anyway I think it's one of the Tussock's.

Description at;
nzbutterfly.info/resident/common-tussock/

Anyone else have any throughts?

PS, Jerome, can you email me the high res version or versions as I know you would have taken a few photos.
I also didn't get above 800m at the Lewis as it was too late in the day when I got there.
« Last Edit: (19 Jan 2010) Tue 09:38 PM by Robert » Logged
jeromebubu
Auckland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: (20 Jan 2010) Wed 05:57 PM »

Here is my late reply....

The caterpillar has growing!
Now, it's a nice lady I would like to definitely name Argyrophenga antipodum, the Common Tussock!
Do you think this name suits her well ?

* Argyrophenga antipodum Lewis Pass - 16-I-2010-90-bis.jpg (217.02 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 234 times.)

* Argyrophenga antipodum Lewis Pass - 16-I-2010-1-bis.jpg (179.66 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 236 times.)
Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: (20 Jan 2010) Wed 07:47 PM »

Now, it's a nice lady I would like to definitely name Argyrophenga antipodum, the Common Tussock!
Do you think this name suits her well ?

Yes I do agree.
At first glace there appears to be brownish scales along the veins on the upperside, but I think this is how the lighting is tricking me on the photo. The underside has the 7th silver/white stripe which is a definitive feature.

Robert.
« Last Edit: (20 Jan 2010) Wed 07:49 PM by Robert » Logged
Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: (20 Jan 2010) Wed 08:15 PM »

I have another person agree privately that he thought the larva was a Tussock too. He sent a similar picture of a smaller larva, that he reared & it turned out to be a Argyrophenga janitae.
« Last Edit: (20 Jan 2010) Wed 08:19 PM by Robert » Logged
copper
Dunedin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: (07 Aug 2010) Sat 04:22 PM »

Hi everybody - my name is Robin Craw, and I revised the New Zealand tussock butterflies in 1978. The photographed female is definitely A. antipodum, and this find is significant as it establishes the Lewis pass area as the only area in South island all 3 tussock species occur in sympatry. When I revised the genus I only had specimens of A. janitae and A. harrisi from this area.
Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: (07 Aug 2010) Sat 10:20 PM »

Hi Robin,

Welcome to Discuss.nzButterfly.info. Thank you for the informative post above & the one on http://discuss.nzbutterfly.info/index.php?topic=134.msg246#msg246

I was wondering this fact when Jerome first posted the pictures, but figured there was fluctuations on the boundary areas of each species. I did figure it was on the edge of its distribution as the pass crosses the main divide.

I planned to get a couple of afternoons at the Pass last January, but only saw Boulder & Common Coppers at the DoC campsite near to Springs Junction. The return day was heavy rain, so didn't bother stopping for Butterflies on the way through.

Take care,
Robert.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: