Discuss.nzbutterfly.info
(23 Sep 2017) Sat 12:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
The Butterfly forum for NZ - From nzButterfly.info
Home | Butterflies | ID Guide | Sighting report | Glossary | Index | Aims
To view all topics, please login or create an account.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown butterfly in Lewis Pass  (Read 427 times)
lehcar

View Profile
« on: (13 Nov 2011) Sun 08:10 PM »

Hi. Today saw a unknown butterfly at Marble Hill/ start of Lake Daniel track/ where you can see the wall over the Alpine Fault at the North end of Lewis Pass. One had bright red  back wing and front wing was black with red spot and stripe, black body. Other was paler red/pink with black/brown.  Was in grass clearance near river and beech forest.
Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: (14 Nov 2011) Mon 09:44 PM »

Hi & welcome,

You are describing a Cinnabar Moth (Tyria jacobaeae) which I have found in that location too. I don't have a great photo, but this is one I took on my last visit there in Jan 2010. If I remember correctly, the paler one is the female. They were introduced from Europe to control the pest plant,  Ragwort (Senecio spp).

I have also found Boulder & Common Copper butterflies at this location too. It's a neat place to look for butterflies & moths.

* Cinnabar Moth 2 - Springs Juntion - Jan 6 2010.jpg (171.05 KB, 740x609 - viewed 57 times.)
« Last Edit: (14 Nov 2011) Mon 09:47 PM by Robert » Logged
mabea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: (11 Jan 2012) Wed 01:09 PM »

Hi, saw what must be the same species beside the Whanganui River. I thought it was one of the Zygaena family, with which I am familiar from France, but after reading this post I see it must be the Cinamon moth.
Des
Robert
Rangiora
Administrator
Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: (11 Jan 2012) Wed 05:14 PM »

Hi & welcome,

The Cinnabar Moth (Tyria jacobaeae) was brought here to control Ragwort (Senecio vulgaris) from Europe.

Another common day-flying moth is the Magpie Moth (Nyctemera annulata), which are similar looking to European species.

I'm not aware of any Zygaena in NZ, but wouldn't be surprised if there was.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: